|The mission of the Office of Risk Management is to promote healthy and safe environments for university students, employees and guests and to preserve and protect the assets of IHL and its universities. The Office of Risk Management is committed to leading a collaborative effort to assist the IHL community in making intelligent, reasonable and prudent choices within the boundaries established by state, federal and local laws, Board policy and the mission of the Institutions of Higher Learning.
In support of our mission, we are committed to:
1. Assisting in assuring mission continuity of the Board and its Institutions.
2. Providing strategic and operational planning support
3. Identifying risks
4. Providing strategies for minimizing risk
5. Assisting in the determination of retention vs. transfer of risks
6. Purchasing and managing insurance and self-insurance
7. Providing a safety and loss control program
8. Advising and counseling
Overall Responsibilities of the Office:
1. Administer Workers’ Compensation Plan
2. Administer Tort Plan
3. Administer Unemployment Pool
4. Oversight of UMMC Tort Plan
5. Advise, counsel, recommend regarding contracts and insurance
6. Establish Disaster Recovery Plan
7. Review and facilitate Incident Preparedness Plan
8. Advise and counsel IHL and university personnel regarding risk management issues.
The Office of Risk Management has identified and prioritized strategies to support its mission and provide focus toward meeting its commitments and responsibilities. Actions have also been identified that will be implemented to carry out each strategy. The strategies and actions identified as necessary to meet its highest priority of goals is found on the following pages.